What challenge(s) do our clients face?
How to manage your brand in a way that engages, acquires, and retains customers at scale, promoting growth and profitability in line with your organizational strategy.
Brand Management can take many forms depending on an Organization’s context, business model, and product portfolio architecture. Brand management spans from high-level strategic definitions through to execution deployment and day-to-day activations. However, from our experience, it is common to face several challenges along this path:
- Effectively assessing right-to-win and how-to-win: Bringing the appropriate strategic depth, market understanding, and financial analysis to brand planning, to set a realistic “size of the prize” and actionable path to help consumers and the organization achieve their goals.
- Delivering and sustaining the right value proposition to the right target audience: Keeping up with changes in consumer preferences and channel trends across categories, brands, and products, and guaranteeing the internal capability to act.
- Connecting brand and product plans to organizational strategy, financials, sales, and operations planning: Ensuring coherence in the brand and value proposition guidance across brands and categories, particularly in Multinational, Multibrand, and Multicategory Organizations, to enable clear guidelines in priorities, investments and commercial strategy for execution.
- Empowering Brand Managers: Recruiting and training Brand Managers with an emphasis on managerial mindset, and proficiency in analytical, creative and people skills. Brand Managers must be owners of the brand P&L, understand its levers, and be able to collaborate with functional specialists to deliver results.
- Giving enough focus to execution and monitoring: Managing resource time to not over-invest in planning but guarantee that share-of-mind is focused on excelling at activation execution, monitoring, and adjustment using routines and feedback to ensure continuous improvement and agility to adapt to market conditions.
How do we help?
We support clients to build feasible and pragmatic plans, led by consumer-centric guidance, advanced analytical skills, and granular planning, aligning interests along the value chain
The mindset behind the construction is using an outside-in approach and reality-based insights to support clients to:
- Construct robust, consumer-centric Brand Plans aligned with the organization’s goals, which translate to both C-Suite discussions and day-to-day implementation
- Strengthen Brand Manager capabilities, by structuring tools and analysis that enable your teams to take an equally strategic and practical approach to problems
- Improve understanding of customer goals and the product value chain, and use this insight to build actionable plans with clear stages, roles and responsibilities, and goals
- Define the strategic roadmap, and design and implement the governance model to monitor the quality and results of execution
What are the benefits?
- Know your right to win and how to win: Develop the best solutions for customers and sustain the internal changes to implement them
- Increase market performance and profitability: Increase sales and financial results in all brands across the whole portfolio
- Consumer-oriented mindset: Create consumer-aligned value propositions by identifying the right targets and uncovering their needs
- Business-oriented strategy: Guarantee clarity of levers to pull for greater impact on results (share, revenue, Rev Mgt, product mix, COGS and Cost to Serve)
- Actionable roadmap: Creation of a detailed activity map, with clear impacts and results phasing to deliver and sustain Brand Management over time
- Empowered brand teams: Formation of teams with the correct skillset, templates and governance to tackle both strategical and operational challenges
How does it work?
- UNDERSTAND & TARGET CUSTOMER DEMANDS
We start by targeting your ideal customer personas
- We combine existing internal data with tailor-made customer research, interviews, and field visits, to understand your target customers and their needs in depth, considering willingness-to-pay (WTP) and alternatives.
- DESIGN VALUE PROPOSITION & PRICING
Creating the best value proposition to your target audience and target price
- No customer intentionally picks the second-best option for herself, considering her needs, on any occasion. Starting from the target customer segment, we work with a cross-functional team from across your organization, together with creative agencies, to develop a positioning that best meets their functional and emotional benefits within the WTP range.
- ROADMAP TO DELIVER VALUE PROPOSITION
Here we determine: “What are the implications of our value proposition in terms of developing new or improved products, services, cost structures, and Go-to-Market channels?”
- We develop a roadmap of all projects needed to credibly deliver the proposed value proposition to customers; assessing cost, complexity, and match with your current core capabilities. This is a critical input to assess viability and strategy alignment, but also to prepare the foundation for implementation.
- CUSTOMER ACQUISITION AND RETENTION STRATEGY
With a robust and credible value proposition for your target customer segment, it’s time to define how to reach out to them and scale
- To reach the market effectively, we cover three angles:
- We partner with client marketeers and specialized agencies to define the right channel mix.
- We work with Sales Executive to determine the best way to deliver the right product to the right market, either through your existing Go-to-Market (GTM) channels or through the development of a new GTM strategy
- We prepare business case models for customer loyalty, repurchase, and recommendation incentives, as input to defining retention strategy – optimizing the consumer lifecycle value.
- VIABILITY AND STRATEGY ALIGNMENT
Translating the Brand Plan into a P&L Model, to align prioritization, targets, and resource needs at C-Level, connected to the overall business strategy
- Brand Planning must not exist in a silo, but instead, have a deep connection with the overall business strategy cycle, and core processes in finance, operations and sales planning.
- We translate all Brand Plans into business case models, with a clear rationale and P&L scenarios. to be discussed through the strategy and budget process at the C-Level.
- This drives measurable targets connected to the strategy, that brand managers must be held accountable to.
- DRIVE ORGANIZATIONAL CHANGE AND IMPLEMENTATION
Using the Brand Plan and roadmap to drive organizational change
- To launch the change, we use the Brand Plans as the basis for communication to mobilize internal stakeholders; sharing the strategic intent, key decisions, and guidance for execution.
- We prepare the implementation roadmap, guiding the projects or initiatives that need to be implemented to enable the success of the new Brand Plans, with expected timelines linked to targets, and clear roles and responsibilities and deliverables.
- MEASURE & MONITOR
Keeping track of progress and taking corrective actions
- We develop a dashboard based on the KPIs linked to your targets and train your Brand Managers to keep track of metrics evaluating customer satisfaction, financial health and growth.
- We work with you to determine tolerance ranges and trigger points to support Brand Managers in making quick corrective actions and testing initiatives during implementation, to ensure the implementation stays on track.
- GOVERNANCE TO ENSURE CONTINUOUS EVOLUTION
Setting ways of working for future success
- To enable long term tracking and control, we work with you to develop new agile ways of working and a clear governance model, linked to your organizational structure.
- We prepare your teams to begin living this model from day one, putting Brand Managers in a position to work as connectors, engaging different functions, monitoring execution, evaluating performance, and reprioritizing based on the reality of the day-to-day and changing market conditions.
One of the largest Beauty & Personal Care organizations in the world had recently acquired a top-performing Hair Care Brand worldwide and intended to expand its footprint to the Brazilian Market. The organization needed to understand the market characteristics and dynamic in-depth, as the acquired brand represented a new category, and the team was working towards aggressive global targets based on a successful launch.
We sequenced our approach as follows to gain clarity on a winning strategy:
- We started with a deep dive into the new category – through market research and internal data, we mapped the differentials that should be at the heart of the expansion strategy.
- This allowed us to define the brand’s key success factors, and by comparing these with international operations (US, UK), we could create a factbook evaluating the match between the brand’s identity and the Brazilian market reality.
- This formed the basis of the Brand Plan and Business Case, in which we translated key definitions into actions for launch – i.e. SKU definitions, right- and how-to-win, channel activation plans, and selling stories etc.
- These actions were incorporated into an implementation plan with the necessary governance, change management actions, and team, to ensure that the project would continue to be implemented successfully after our exit.
The work resulted in launching the brand in new geographies, with selected chains responsible for creating a halo effect, and causing the company to hit its volume targets 4 months in advance.
In addition, as the company had a history of poor-performing launches, this launch helped the marketing team gain more space and connection with commercial and other internal areas of the company, setting the foundation for future success.
An eminent steel manufacturer, which sold to 60+ different sectors in over a dozen countries, was facing a downturn in sales due to a lack of differentiation in the sales model and poor brand interaction across customer touchpoints and influencers. Integration was asked to support the organization to review its brand management model/activation plan to be more efficient and assertive.
Through extensive data analysis and customer interviews, we assessed the needs of top sectors considering service level, portfolio, and customer experience. From a Brand Management perspective, we evaluated activation levers, benchmarks, brand experience, and decision-making influences, which allowed us to translate sector needs into a comprehensive Brand Plan and activation structure aligned to the organization’s strategy.
Sales increased, and the client was able to better leverage pricing and commercial policy, by generating demand at the right time in their main sectors.
A leading consumer goods company, investing to expand in a target category, had stagnant market share and rapidly deteriorating profitability.
With negative return on their investment, the company had to reassess if they had a right to win in this category which could sustain a sizable market share and positive profitability.
Integration conducted a deep and comprehensive market scan, identifying strong variations in consumption per subcategory and channel when considering the market regions. This reflected strong regionalized market realities which were not accounted for in the client approach.
As a result, we adapted the portfolio assortment to meet the regional demand and revised the Go-to-Market model to optimize the cost-to-serve each region and segment. This was accompanied with changes to the pricing strategy which aimed to further expand the reach and sales of the product, grabbing market share from competitors.
Supporting the client along the entire implementation journey we delivered over 20 p.p. EBITDA increase, sustaining the market share position.
Furthermore, the training and development initiatives which we put in place to empower the leaders to develop further continuous improvement projects are on track to deliver another 10 p.p. EBITDA increase and further topline growth in the category.
Our comprehensive Brand Management track record covers many segments and Industries, acting with both B2B and B2C companies. We understand the characteristics and reality to tailor our solutions in order to foster sustainable results. Some segments that we have already worked with include.